Monday, September 21, 2009

My only target now is Kollywood : Ajmal

And he will be back in Chennai in time to promote his latest flick, Thiru Thiru Thuru Thuru (T4) with newcomer Rupa Manjeri, directed by debutante Nandhini.

“I take a flight to Kerala whenever I can,” says Ajmal. “I love spending time with my family. Since it’s festival time here, it’s a lot of fun.”
So, what does he do when he is in his hometown? “It’s the usual meet-and-greet routine, but this time around, I was busy judging contestants at the Miss South India contest,” he grins, “I was modelling before I started my career as an actor. So, it is easy to judge these contests.”

Ajmal is all geared up to promote his first project as a solo hero. “It’s a different experience,” he reminisces, “In Anjaathey, I had to prove my potential despite sharing screen space with established actors like Narain and Prassanna. In TN 07 AL 4777, I had Pasupathi for company. In T4, I play the solo male lead. And this is a perfect opportunity to establish myself as a bankable actor.”
He says the entire unit of T4, right from Nandhini to Rupa to Mouli, including the crew members, was thoroughly supportive. “If I wanted a retake, Nandhini wouldn’t sigh and the crew didn’t create a fuss,” he says.

So, what’s T4 all about? “T4 is a romantic comedy. In this film, Rupa and I work in the same office. We are best buddies, but still, we can’t stand each other. After canning every scene, Nandhini would almost roll on the floor laughing! Do I need to say more?”
Ask him how he landed this role and Ajmal says, “Nandhini had seen my Malayalam movie, Pranayakalam and liked what she saw. Her conviction only became stronger after seeing Anjaathey.” The actor goes on to add that the onscreen chemistry between Rupa and him was perfect. “We became great friends on the first day itself. As a result, it was easier for us to do scenes together. I think sharing a superb off-screen relationship is important for a sparkling on-screen chemistry.”

The actor vehemently denies having done any homework for this role. “I always thought shooting for movies was serious business. But, I enjoyed myself thoroughly while doing this film. It’s probably because of the genre of the movie,” he says.
Ajmal’s next will be Kathirvel with Sunaina. “It’s an action film directed by Venkat, an associate of Saran. We still have to shoot a song and a sequence. The film might take another 20 days to wrap up.”

Satisfied and happy with Kollywood, the actor says that he is not looking to dabble in other languages. “Even though I’m getting offers from Mollywood and Tollywood, I haven’t signed any films there. My only target now is the Kollywood industry — I have my eyes set on it. And I want to see myself as a saleable actor in the Tamil industry,” he signs off on a positive note.

No comments:

Post a Comment